Massachusetts Bottle Bill
Volunteer to help pass the Bottle Bill Update!
The Sierra Club is working with other environmental groups and in conjunction with Rep. Douglas Petersen to update the
bottle bill, adding water, sports drinks, teas, and other beverages. This
bill is being enthusiastically supported by environmental groups and others
throughout the state.
But despite the bottle billís overwhelming success, the update faces
opposition from bottlers and grocers.
We need your help!
- Distribute flyers at nearby stores, public events, and busy
intersections. Gathering signatures there will show legislators that we
support the bottle bill. Flyers and petitions are at
- Contact your State Representative and State Senator today urging them
to support the update Ė and ask your friends and neighbors to do the same
- Come to the hearings! A big turnout will help the bills passage. The
hearing date will be posted here.
- Offer written testimony for the hearings. This is especially important
if your work or study is related to recycling.
- Send a letter to the editor of your local paper. We have many sample
letters to inspire you. Local newspapers want to hear from residents on
this type of issue! Email me and Iíll send you a few examples.
- Contact non-profits who use bottle and can drives to support their
- Scouts, school athletic programs, social service non-profits across
the state use bottle and can drives to supplement their budget. Let those
in your area know that they need to contact their legislators.
- Put up our poster on your community bulletin boards
- Weíve designed some flyers for posting in supermarkets, laundromats,
and community notice boards. Just print out the poster, grab some
thumbtacks, and go!
- Other Ideas? If you have other ideas, please share them with us!